Saturday 28 April 2012

Champions League: A Step Too Far?

When I decided to start this blog, my beloved Toon Army were flying high in 4th place, on the back of six wins on the bounce. Typically the weekend I post my first article, Alan Pardew's Black and White army go and lose comprehensively 4-0 to relegation threatened Wigan Athletic. Heres to hoping this blog won't be a voodoo for the boys.


As a life-long Newcastle fan I have often heard stereotypes branded around, most recently that we are no longer a big club so we need to 'lower our expectations'. I for one haven't had high expectations for our club for at least 9 years, since the departure of Sir Bobby Robson.


But instead of being viewed in a negative way, as a fan I feel this release of pressure (as well as the acquisition of a top manager) has allowed the club to surge back into the upper realms of the Premier League. At the beginning of the season Newcastle were favourites for the drop with many bookmakers and along with the loss of club captain Kevin Nolan to West Ham and Joey Barton to QPR, my aim for the club was simply survival.


It extremely pleases me to say that I will be far from alone in saying, what has happened at St James Park (or the Sports Direct Arena if we're going to get funny about it) this season, has been nothing short of incredible. To be in with an opportunity of playing Champions League football next season is fantastic for everyone involved with the club, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves once again.


Saturdays demolishment at Wigan should just be a gentle reminder to us all that despite the terrific progress Pardew and his men are currently making, there is a long way to go before we get back to the glory days.

No comments:

Post a Comment